When it comes to non-surgical vision correction options, orthokeratology is the gold standard. Optometrists and eye care specialists have been recommending orthokeratology or Ortho-k for over 25 years. Despite its history, however, people are still unfamiliar with its many advantages or even how it works.
Advantages of Orthokeratology
- Ortho-k lenses are much like conventional contacts, which means no bulky frames or glasses.
- An Ortho-k lens is typically made to fit the curvature and size of the patient’s eye. This allows it to provide greater myopic control for its user.
- Orthokeratology can treat myopia prescriptions ranging from -1.00 to -6.00. For astigmatism cases, this procedure is effective for up to -2.00 prescriptions. Its range surpasses other comparative corrective solutions.
- Corneal molding can last for up to 72 hours with continued use. This means you can still enjoy clearer eyesight even after forgetting to use Ortho-k lenses the night before.
- Ortho-k lenses are easier for children to apply and remove compared to other soft contact lens products.
Limitations of Ortho-k Lenses
- Unfortunately, Ortho-k lenses are not perfect solutions. Like contact lenses, they can be a cause for corneal infections. However, following proper hygiene or using traditional frames and glasses will greatly lessen your chances of developing any infection.
- While they are child-friendly, their small size and transparent appearance means they are also very easily lost.
- The clear vision from Ortho-k lenses can take up to two weeks before taking effect for first-time users.
- First-timers might also feel uncomfortable during their initial use although this sensation will disappear after a while.
Ask our optometrists at Eye and Vision Care if orthokeratology is right for you. Give us a call at (703) 961-9119 for Fairfax residents or (703) 659-4430 for Haymarket to schedule an appointment today. You can also fill out our contact form to get in touch with our specialists. We serve South Riding, Fairfax and Haymarket, VA.